The keel laying ceremony of the multipurpose amphibious unit (LHD or Landing Helicopter Dock) took place at Fincantieri’s shipyard on 20th of February 2018 in Castellammare di Stabia, marking the beginning of the slipway works of the unit.
Construction on the ship started with a steel cutting ceremony on July 12, 2017, and the delivery is expected for 2022.
The unit will be approx. 215 meters long with a maximum speed of 25 knots. It will be equipped with a combined propulsion system diesel/electric and gas turbines (CODLOG).
According to Fincantieri Press Release; The vessel will have both military and civil profile.
The LHD’s main mission is the transport of people, vehicles and loads of different kinds and in their transfer on land in port areas through on board systems and in not equipped areas with on board staffing vessels (such as the LCM landing craft units with a load capacity up to 60 tons, four of which can be admitted, launched, and recovered through a flooded basin, located on the stern of the vessel).
The civil profile use provides:
- healthcare and hospital support
- transfer and landing of people and wheeled or crawled means of transport in equipped and non-equipped areas
- supply of drinking water to land through onboard desalination plants or storages
- supply of electricity to land with 2000 kw of power and its distribution through containerized conversion and distribution units
- possibility of accommodating specialized staff on board or hosting up to 700 civilian personnel, plus the same number in containerized residential units
- rescue operations base through helicopters and boar staffing vessels
On board there will be a fully equipped hospital, complete with operating rooms, radiology and analysis rooms, a dentist’s office, and a hospital rooms capable of hosting 28 seriously injured patients (further admissions are possible through duly equipped container modules).